True Strength campaign
True Strength – Eigen Kracht in Dutch - is the campaign of the Anti-Doping Authority the Netherlands for the fitness industry and wants to inform athletes about the risks of using anabolic steroids and other prohibited substances. It also advocates clean sports and educates athletes about healthy and efficient ways to achieve their goals.
In the Netherlands, approximately 2 million people work out in fitness centers and thereby fitness has grown to be one of the most popular sporting activities.
People can have many reasons for wanting to exercise, but in addition to health, cosmetic reasons like being more muscular or leaner, are mentioned most often. These goals are perfectly compatible with working out for good health, but research shows that 1 in 8 fitness participants is interested in doping, precisely because of cosmetic reasons. Recent research data show, unfortunately, that 8.2% of the people who train in fitness centres used doping substances. The need for education therefore seems to be clear.
Components True Strength
The True Strength campaign consists of several interrelated components:
- The website www.eigenkracht.nl;
- The video ‘Eigen Kracht in het Centrum’;
- The book ‘Op Eigen Kracht: slanker-strakker-sterker’;
- The book 'Doping: de nuchtere feiten';
- Promotional and educational materials;
- Participating fitness centres;
- Lectures and presentations on Doping(prevention), Supplements, Training and Nutrition;
- Outreaches and education at fairs and events;
- Biographies of Cleane Kneiters (Clean Hunks, ambassadors of clean fitness);
- Article Series on (side) effects of doping in the popular Dutch bodybuildingmagazine Sports & Fitness;
- An email-service;
- Research on doping related subjects.